Friday, June 20, 2008

What I didn't know.

I have recently been introduced to the Indian system of rhythm called Konokol. This method of counting has been a real eye and ear opener for for me and I have been working at it since January. Recently an opportunity presented itself to use it in a real world situation.

I had a rehearsal with a group of young violin players for their end of year concerts and had been given charts and a CD to look over before we got together. I have been busy as of late so I quickly glanced at the charts and skimmed over the CD to catch any tricky bits. One tune stood out as a potential problem, "le reel du fossé" by Mes Aïeux. I had heard it many times before as it is a favourite of my daughters so I thought "No worries" and drove off to the rehearsal.

Well, what I didn't know was that it had a section in 13/8 with shots and, a bar of 9/8 and leading back to 4/4. Now there are those for whom this would be a walk in the park, but I was having difficulty. I was humbled. So I think to myself, this looks like a job for Konokol. Within a short period of time, after determining that the shots where on beat 10, not 11, I had a grasp on it.

How do I verbalize it? Like thus, taka dimi taka taka dimi takita. Simple, no?

I highly recommend John McLaughlin & S. Vinayakram's "Gateway to Rhythm" DVD to musicians of all levels and experiences.

Thanks for reading,

Tom McMahon

No comments: